Environment FIVE: out 8-Sep-2014

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: Environment FIVE: out 8-Sep-2014

Post by Dennis »

Pandemonium wrote:I mean, most of us buy the physical releases for art-collecting-purposes, not for listening :)
Not that only I prefer to buy oldfashioned CD's, but putting them into an oldfashioned CD-Player is my primarily executed way of listening music even up to this day (at least at Home). Don't know, think I'm just too lazy to put up the computer every time I want to listen to music. Also the haptic aspect somehow is important for me I guess. Pretty uncool I know...
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

it's no secret that i have not left the CD age

100% of my listening is optical unless i'm doing pandora/youtube while working
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

It's not uncool - it's just oldfashioned, as you said - and there's nothnig wrong with that...

I've said a few times before, my computer (my main computer to be more precise) is up 24/7 and it's connected to everything in the flat - so having a dozen of Terabytes of music on my fingertips is far far more convenient than listening through CD player.

A few of my friends also listen this way, and I thought it's a natural transition, since we're 2014...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

The only people I know who listen primarily to mp3s are those without the space or money for physical - don't think I know anybody (other than a couple of people here) who prefer digital to physical.

There's nothing cool / uncool about any way you listen to music. There are so many different things people get from it. For me, the 'convenience' of digital listening is a huge con, rather than a pro - it takes an element of identity from the music. Looking through a collection, selecting a record, taking from its sleeve, putting it on, having a notable silence before and after that punctuates a particular album - all these things are inherent to the listening experience for me. Others simply want as many sounds as possible, as easily as possible, and have wi-fi computer setups for such convenience.

Some people want the price and compact size of an mp3; others want an lossless file (or, I suspect, the knowledge they have a lossless file is enough for some people :P ); CD's flawless sound and unbroken running time works for some; the cheap, pocket-sized cassette with its warm, slightly lo-fi sound is fetishised by others; some - like me - like a big shiny record and all the tangibility it comes with. The one link is: all of these people want to be able to enjoy the music in the way they choose, and this is available to everyone with a multi-format release like Environment Five.

I really don't get why they don't offer mp3 along with the physical, like every other online store I'm aware of does, although this isn't a big deal for CD purchasers, other than an extra few days' wait. I am a little bit bothered by the fact that I'll have to do a rip (don't really trust my computer), buy the mp3 (no chance - my LP copy is going to be a birthday present as it is!) or pirate it (hmm) if I want it on my mp3 player, though. But I'll find a way, no doubt.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I get what you're saying Ross,
I just like to add, even though everything is in my computer and I keep the physical releases on the shelves as art-exponents,
the process of selection what to listen is about the same for me (just because I have to select from 25000 releases, it takes about as much time to access the files as to find them physically in a well organized shelf).

- The artwork is important to me very much - that's why I try to have complete scanned booklets of every release, and have special programs that display the artwork while the music plays...

- So the accessibility and convenience od the digital are a PRO for me... I noticed that I listen much more music than before - and it's not about the quality over quantity question - we all know that there is simply TOO MUCH worthy music and too little time to tickle our ears...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Pandemonium wrote: that's why I try to have complete scanned booklets of every release
Haha, for me it´s the other way round, I try to create (or find) booklets (at least the cover/backcover) to print it out to make it look like a proper released CD, when there´s only mp3´s or flac (did that with most of the Ghost-Box-stuff, wich I bought almost entirely as download - and with the Earthbeat-compilation - still looking for getting the original at a reasonable price)
Magnificient Insignificance
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I think I am in the middle.

I buy CDs, to some degree, primarily to own the physical product, for the artwork, etc.

I do still listen to music on CD quite a lot and I would say that is my preferred method. But, as Pande said, having your entire music library running on your computer and stored on your iPod is extremely handy and so more and more of my time is spent listening to music this way too. I will always buy a CD if possible though, I'm not a big fan of download-only stuff.
Ross

Post by Ross »

There's definitely something psychological at work for a lot of people, when I have an mp3-only release, I very, very rarely give it the same attention as a physical copy, and I've come across similar viewpoints from time to time.

I also think if I had 25,000 releases (which is so fucking easy if you're digital-only,) I would never get the chance to give most of it a proper listen. I don't even put an album onto my shelf until it's been listened to a lot and I feel like I know it inside out (or I realise I don't actually like it that much, ha) - I think with access to near-infinite music I would struggle to give things their due. I already struggle with my physical collection, whenever I browse I always end up with 10 or 20 "I really need to listen to that album more!" selections.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:I already struggle with my physical collection, whenever I browse I always end up with 10 or 20 "I really need to listen to that album more!" selections.
I know that feeling!

At the moment, older albums aren't getting much play at all, as I'm struggling to work my way through a pile of unplayed CDs as well as keeping up with new releases :oops:
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yes, there are eleven more releases this year that I know of already, and money issues aside, I don't know if I have enough room in my head for them, ha.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Ross I had your same thoughts 5 years ago,
but if there's a system - there is a way :)

I have a system, something like digital shelving :) - album don't go in my official genre/band folders until I listen to them - not properly, but give them a chance - than maybe a few listens. Also I delete a large amount. Most music-fans have 300-500 albums (maybe up to 1500) that they know inside-out, and the rest is collector's choice... But it doesn't mean that if I heard some album just twice that I don't know it or I can't see it's worthiness in the music history or in my collection.

In this moment, I have about 7000-7500 releases in queue :D
But my motto is, better to have it available - maybe I'll listen to it after 20 years - maybe I'll delete it - but it's always better to have it available.

And trust me, it's NEVER easy to manage a collection of 25K, it's not just a number, I really know these releases (well, at least 75% of them) and I know why I have them. You have to understand, my experience in music is different than most people here, because I don't make music (which sucks, but I have my reasons), but I'm familiar with all the processes and see things a little bit different.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:Yes, there are eleven more releases this year that I know of already, and money issues aside, I don't know if I have enough room in my head for them, ha.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think there's about 10 I know about for September and October and who knows what for the last couple of months. I think I usually average at least one new release per week :shock:
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Pandemonium wrote:In this moment, I have about 7000-7500 releases in queue :D
But my motto is, better to have it available - maybe I'll listen to it after 20 years - maybe I'll delete it - but it's always better to have it available.
Holy smokes! Not long ago, my queue was a few hundred and I've been steadily working my way through the list and have it under 100 now. But to be honest, it's been getting to a point where it's felt like a bit of a chore at times, as I feel like I HAVE to listen to certain things from my queue and rarely have time where I can simply listen to an old album I'm in the mood for. Stresses me out a bit sometimes.

But I see the light at the end of the tunnel now and, even with new releases and allowing for buying a few older albums I want, I reckon I could get to the end of my list (well, pretty much) by maybe April or May next year.

Course the main problem I have is getting into new bands, especially ones with loads of releases already out. That's why I keep having to stop myself getting into Aphex Twin...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ah yeah my brothers

fsol and ocd......a match made in heaven :mrgreen:
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

The OCD is terrible! I'm sure they are winding us up this time, removing the pluralisation AND writing "five" instead of just "5". That's niggling me big time!
I am the eye that looks within