FSOLDigital Calendar

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Re: FSOLDigital Calendar

Post by Trigga Bo »

ISDN has not been reprinted since 1995! There are also two versions of the album 1994 and 1995.
By the way, there has not been a reissue of Tales Of Ephidrina since 1993 + EP Liquid Insects
(it would be cool if this album was finally released for the first time under the name, alias The Future Sound Of London)
tengram
Hardhead

Post by tengram »

Ross wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:55 pm It's one of those two, yes. I think communications with Universal are generally very positive at the moment so we might get something a little more too.
I see now it's Tales on RSD.

That's great.
tengram
Hardhead

Post by tengram »

Trigga Bo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:04 am ISDN has not been reprinted since 1995! There are also two versions of the album 1994 and 1995.
By the way, there has not been a reissue of Tales Of Ephidrina since 1993 + EP Liquid Insects
(it would be cool if this album was finally released for the first time under the name, alias The Future Sound Of London)
Right, and the 2 LP version was actually different than the 1995 CD edition, in that is also has "Are They Fightin' Us" at the end of side 3, but that track does not appear on the CD. (It was on the limited edition CD in 1994, instead.)

I think it would be awesome if they put out maybe a 5 sided, 3 LP version that brings all the tracks out from both versions (along with Herd Killing and Live From New York from Promo 500), for the reissue. Or maybe a 6 sided, 3 LP version also incorporating some extra material drawn from the era, but previously unreleased.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Ok, so now the Calendar tracks are only on Bandcamp does anyone know how you can download an individual track each month? I can only figure out how to download the whole album, which obviously gets progressively bigger each month. Irritating more than anything. Is there a way to do this?
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Sadly not, it's just full albums on Bandcamp. Shouldn't be too bad, you can always delete the stuff you don't want and even a full album shouldn't take that long to grab.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Thanks Ross. At least I am not going mad in trying to figure out how to download individual calendar tracks. Pants feature of Bandcamp though!
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

But another nice track this month. All three this year have been good.
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

Post by adreamingandroid »

moxlox wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:42 pm Thanks Ross. At least I am not going mad in trying to figure out how to download individual calendar tracks. Pants feature of Bandcamp though!
You are not alone in your frustration. Do wish they would do another physical calendar to go with the album..
Ross

Post by Ross »

May track:
From 2022

The Future Sound of London - Clear Mass 4
Recorded at 9 L West Studio
Engineered by Yage
Produced by FSOL

Enjoy
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

That’s very cool artwork. Looks similar to the themes of e007.1 and e07.2.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

"FSOL - Ritulis
One of four versions of Ritualised from the Environment 7.1 album
Engineered by Yage
Produced by FSOL
Recorded at 9L West Studios England
FSOLdigital"

---------------------------

I would like to point out the newly learned fact that Ritualised and Ritulis are two of four versions of the same track. Any chance for a "Ritual" Single EP? :D
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Another great bit of artwork, reminds me of Chris Cunningham's robot-y sculpture being washed away at the end of the video Autechre - Second Bad Vilbel
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

August track is really good! Love the ISDN feel with the synth arp melody on top of it :)
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

The eleventh track is available now:

"HUMANOID - Boignm Aqautic

Recorded FEB 2023 @ 9LW Studios England
Engineered by Yage

Enjoy"
Ross

Post by Ross »

Picked this up today with release of the last track…

Input Shape - Definite 7.003 vibes here, nice acoustic beats and ethereal pads. Lovely opener.

Ampoi - 2022 track, reminds me of E6 though. Can see why it didn’t end up on 7, stylistically an outlier. Decent enough.

Slow Photo - 2017 track. I suppose that kind of makes it 3 Books era? This reminds me more of the ‘90s than any other recent track, something about those drums is proper late ‘90s ‘chill out’ style. Nice little piece, some lovely arps and melodies going on there.

Ubiquitous - An odd one here. Fully ambient intro, then some punchy, skeletal beats. Library music track (is this the first time there’s been an official acknowledgment of them?), sounds a lot like an E7 piece though. Nice unusual atmosphere.

Clear Mass 4 - Another E7 era track, beats are a bit tighter and punchier but you can hear the sound. Love how odd this one is, that stuttered spoken intro, the field recordings. It happens less over time, but I always enjoy it when an FSOL track surprises me. Nice strange track.

Each and Every One of Them - Just when you thought it was safe to leave the house, another blippy minor key IDM miniature in the E6 style appears. It’s good but I never need to hear another FSOL track that sounds like this again.

Ritulis - Even without the description, it’d be pretty easy to tell when this was from. Enjoyably chaotic, sounds like Ritualised and Mas-x-xx-xx had a baby. Love that little shouted sample that turns up. I’m usually melody-oriented, but I always love these chunky slow beat tracks.

Siollk > a - Can’t beat a clear, concise title. Really enjoying this, something about all the different choices of sounds that really sticks out. Every synth and percussion texture is a bit different to normal. Good stuff.

Vertical Reflections - Love that title. Gorgeous track, I love that repeating riff, and the use of field recordings, flutes and filtered percussion makes it sound really fleshed out. Vocal samples really remind me of Artificial Placement of Emotion from the 2019 calendar. This is a definite for a 2021-2024 best of compilation if one ever comes along. My favourite calendar track in ages!

Obelen - Here’s this year’s playful one. Has some typical FSOL menace, but it’s also bouncy and fun. Like that a lot.

Boignm Aquatic - Humanoid remains in IDM mode for the calendars, even if the main releases are acid. Frankly, this could be on E7.1 or 7.2, nice atmospheric pads and complex beats. Ends too soon!

Lime Slip - Five minutes of grumbling beats. Sounds like it was more fun to make than to listen to, tbh.

Overall, very good. Some other calendars have been a little on the homogenous side, but there’s a nice variety here and some really fleshed out tracks. It continues a pattern in me preferring the odd numbered years to the even ones. I wonder if the more recent ones will ever get enhanced versions come out later. Not that these are bad as they are - the scattered nature is part of what this series is about and I’ve eventually accepted that, hah.

A few thoughts on the album in context of the series and FSOLDigital:
What was the last ‘90s archive track on a calendar? Did we have one a couple of years ago? It’s been almost entirely E6 onwards for ages now.
On a similar note, this seems to be reflecting the label-wide move to everything just being FSOL and Humanoid these days. Back in the hauntology era, there were so many different alias releases, but that 2020 Yage EP is the only other alias we’ve had in almost eight years.