Mind Maps 4

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Mind Maps 4

Post by Ross »

In other news, FSOL Facebook have just shared this:

This Friday at 7.30pm UK -MIND MAPS 4 Cd Launch :):(;:;()
https://touched-music.mixlr.com
Starts 7.30pm - FSOL exclusive
Show. 8.00pm - Mind Maps 4
Launch - 9.00pm Cd / T-shirts / hidden treat …

Can't beat a hidden treat. Hopefully someone will be able to capture the exclusive 30 minute mix at the start. I'm sure there'll be even more tracks that will never get released or an official title in there (I count 118 to date).
Ross

Post by Ross »

As the artwork has now been posted on Facebook, I’m happy to confirm that this CD comes with a printed tracklist!

Drøn - Graviton (Yage Mix)
Inkipak - Climbing (Yage Mix)
Acreationator - Sorren (Yage Remix)
Karsten Pflum - Iso66 (Yage Remix)
Autechre - JNSN CODE GJ16 (Yage Mix)
Heogen - Bird Song (Yage Mix)
Sundial Aeon - Revelation in Delight (Yage Remix)
Scanner - Klograviomel (Yage Remix)
Serge Geyzel - One of These Days (Yage Mix)
Enofa - Floating Islands (Yage Mix)
Sundial Aeon - Undiscovered Terrain (Yage Mix)
Humanoid - Capture
ISAN - Deluge Skating (Yage Mix)
The Future Sound of London - Pitch-Ready-Execute
Room of Wires - Probable Cause (Yage Mix)
Thierry Gotti - OoR (Yage Mix)
The Future Sound of London - Skuttle

mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Amazing, thank you - Have an alarm set to try and purchase the CD before the inevitable sold out status ! My word Brian has been busy with his remixes everything!
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

mcbpete wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm Amazing, thank you - Have an alarm set to try and purchase the CD before the inevitable sold out status ! My word Brian has been busy with his remixes everything!
Hi,
I understand that you have a contact with Brian. If it's so, is it possible to have the tracklists for the MM2 and 3?
Pretty pretty please :D
(and thank you, in advance)
Ross

Post by Ross »

More news that'll make some people very happy: MM4 has actual track indexes so you don't even need to cut it up!
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

gabo86 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:39 am I understand that you have a contact with Brian. If it's so, is it possible to have the tracklists for the MM2 and 3?
Not me, just a humble fanboy who set this place up! If anything Ross would be yer best bet :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

I'll give him a prod, see what he says.

Just announced - a second mix CD will also be available, called Trip Maps (Psychedelic World) - basically a Yage version of the Amorphous sound, chunky psych rock breaks, remixes a la the Mind Maps CD. Will be released at the same time.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Warm up... Drones, field recordings, samples, female vocals. Recent releases have all been very dense and hectic, I honestly wouldn't mind a new album that sounded more like this. Feels like a while since we've had a more ambient-leaning FSOL record. About 29 minutes there's very radical alt mix of 'This Place' from E6.5. Then some lovely gentle percussive stuff, and effects to end.

Drøn - Graviton (Yage Mix) - Chunky bit of electro breaks. Unusually long for current FSOL, over 7 minutes.
Inkipak – Climbing (Yage Mix) - Gorgeous melancholic, almost trip-hop type stuff. Some people in the chat compared it to UNKLE which makes sense. Another seven minuter.
Andy Weatherall answerphone. Then a message about going to a party to meet a "French chick".
Acreationator – Soren (Yage Remix) - Lovely melodic breaks, flips between jungle beats and half tempo.
Karsten Pflum – Iso66 (Yage Remix) - Starts mellow, acoustic guitars, gentle beats, sudden crash into almost breakcore level insanity, and back again. There was a point a few years ago where I felt things had fallen into a bit of a pattern, but this is once again proving that Yage can still surprise.
Autechre – JNSN CODE GL16 (Yage Mix) - As per the video, dark, sinister, acidic, wonderful sound design.
Heogen – Bird Song (Yage Mix) - Mellow, downtempo, female vocals, epic.
Tons of other answerphone messages, someone was late phoning, artwork is due, the usual stuff.
Sundial Aeon – Revelation In Delight (Yage Remix) - More melodic downtempo stuff.
Scanner – Klagraviomel (Yage Remix) - Slow, chuggy one, lots of atmospheric layers, dark and intense. Very E7.
Serge Geyzel – One Of These Days (Yage Remix) - Stylistically quite similar but with jazzier drums.
Enofa – Floating Islands (Yage Mix) - It me. Dubby '90s style ambient, given an even dubbier once over by Brian.
Air raid sirens.
Sundial Aeon – Undiscovered Terrain (Yage Remix) - As released earlier this year.
Isolated Gate – Insincerabilitisationism (Yage Mix) - Gloriously warm, bittersweet major key mid-tempo electronics.
Humanoid – Capture - high tempo acid.
Answerphone from Chris Blair at Abbey Road who mastered all their albums
ISAN – Deluge Skating (Yage Mix) - Light, skittery IDM. Quite airy after a darker, denser album so far.
The Future Sound Of London – Pitch-Ready-Execute - Dark, quite surreal skittery beats, some field recordings from another recent release I can't put my finger on. Either a Calendar or Ramblings track.
Room Of Wires – Probable Cause (Yage Mix) - Dark, lots of overdriven synths. Mix is suddenly quite intense. Almost dubsteppish beats.
Stephen Mallinder from Cabaret Voltaire leaves a message to see if FSOL want to an ISDN link up to Australia.
Thierry Gotti – OoR (Yage Mix) - quite a groovy track. Running out of things to say now hah.
The Future Sound Of London – Skuttle - Brief acoustic outro.

On the whole it has a lot less of the hectic IDM stuff of the past couple of releases, which might be why it's more up my street. Atmospheric, textural, melodic and melancholic. It's a gorgeous CD and easily my favourite of the series so far.

Bonus 20 minute mix
Chunky trip-hop. "We are the new generation" sample. Synthi sounds. 1-in-8 and You're Creeping Me Out samples.
Chunky heavy acid. Reckon this is a 92/93 track. Acid line reminds me of Shingles.
Slow beats, really squelchy 303. Creepy strings. Rustic flutes. 'Rituals' meets 'Slider' meets Sand Sound Folly? I dunno. It's totally unlike any other FSOL track. And apparently it's E7.03 material!
Slightly groovy, vaguely hip-hop-ish. More strings. Apparently a M@ track.
Water from In a State of Permanent Abyss
Backwards strings and percussion. And done.
Ross

Post by Ross »

OUT NOW.

Also from FSOLDigital: Mind Maps 4, Mind Maps 1 reissue, handful of copies of MM3 and a MM4 t-shirt!
https://fsol.bandcamp.com/merch
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Jeez that was stressful - Paypal froze on the payment page, my CPU fan went crazy. Expected a big ol' crash and ..... phew all randomly resolved itself
Ross

Post by Ross »

Trip Maps wasn't played, but here are my thoughts on it...

00:00 Pleasurefields - Hands Of Time (Yage Remix) - previously released on a ludicrously limited 12" test pressing on Touched
11:15 The Family Dog - Traumadol (Deconstructed by Yage) - released on FSOLDigital
14:33 Lokah - ambient track, beats come in later, maybe a Brian alias?
20:42 English Electric Partnership - name of the label that put out the Kurakura releases (produced and mixed by Will and Brian as Hed-Set), can't find an obvious Kurakura track that sounds like it's been remixed here though
25:01 Psychedelic World - given that this is the title of the CD, and it features that title spoken in it a few times, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Brian track. More than a touch of the '97 FSOL sound to it
28:50 Slo Leek - this was on MM3 as Yage, so there's another alias
31:49 Hooper Rigs - I can confirm this one is a Brian project
34:49 SickOnes - Exile (Yage Alt Mix) - a different version to the remix released a few years ago
38:27 Yage - this was the Mole Jeek track on MM3, so there's ANOTHER alias
42:07 End
molo
Hardhead

Post by molo »

Really nice mix tonight. Bagged both the MM4 & Trip CDs. Really pleased to see MM1 re-issue, I missed that one first time round.
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

Purchased MM4 and Trip CDs, and the t-shirt - glad they have size small. I was also able to record the stream, 2:07 hrs running time. Wasn't able to listen to this uninterrupted, so looking forward to listening to its entirety!
maff
Hardhead

Post by maff »

Did anyone manage to record the stream and are they willing to share please? I managed to miss it.