The Most Important Moments in a Life - A History of FSOL

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: The Most Important Moments in a Life - A History of FSOL

Post by seedy »

geez i would love to have this but i'm not sure i can at that price

epitome wrote: saved me £10
i must admit - this makes me pretty f'n sad
not you saving the money lol.....paying for an autograph i mean
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

From the six tracks we've already had
01 – Taken Leave of all Senses
02 – Viewed from Across the Room
03 – I Turn To Face The Sun
04 – Bring
05 – Triospheres
06 – Sea + LSD
07 – Grindatone
08 – A Somnambulant Drift
09 – Talisman
10 – Abandoned Housing Blocks of Prypiat
11 – Falling Upwards Aria

So Triospheres is the probably the one with the greek title from archived 8 bonus? So hopefully 5 unheard tracks and proper mixed with transitions between would be cool. So basically another (little) archived album.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Hmm actually that should be five, shouldn't it? And the mix of Bring is a different mix to the Bonus EP version (possibly true of the others). τροχός means wheel. Looks like it'll be Environments 5.5
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

seedy wrote:i must admit - this makes me pretty f'n sad... paying for an autograph i mean
This thought crossed my mind too - but on the other hand - it was ME who actually mentioned/requested in a few threads that FSOL should do more physical releases with rare items for the hard-core fans - so I really don't mind.

- They are gruesomely underpaid geniuses and for someone who doesn't know them it surely might look like an un-cool move - but I really think it's OK - it's just an option +

Brian personally bothered multiple times to send me signed copies (just because I asked politely) even though the factory copies already arrived. I've received freebies in forms of t-shirts / stickers / posters / badges and other stuff...

I just hope people understand ... on some level...
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote: T-shirts, I reckon we need to get Graham around here to do some S and XL orders again soon. A medium is still like a tent on me. That symbols shirt one is beautiful.
I looked at the t-shirts, because I really like the designs of both of them, expecially the symbols shirt. But I'm often between a small and medium in t-shirts anyway and on the site it says medium is 42", which sounds like a big medium to me! I prefer my t-shirts more clingy/fitted these days, so I'll have to pass :(

Do you think the tracks on the CD will be faded into each other, to give it an album feel? Some of the tracks were on the digital releases, but then they aren't in the same order on the cd, so they'll either have done new segues or clean edits, I guess. If it's all seamless, then it'll be amazing. If they're clean endings, then I'll probably stick with the sequed versions of some of those tracks. Still be nice to have them on CD though and obviously the unreleased tracks are exciting...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I've talked with Brian about the shirt sizes - there will be S series, as well as XL and XXL.
I'm between XL and XXL, depends on the model.
We talked colours too - I suggested more simple and standard ones like Black, White and some dark blue and blue variants.
So, fingers crossed...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I'm sure the album will be segued. I wouldn't be surprised if Bring isn't the only alternate mix on there too. I reckon it'll be a nice standalone CD.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:I'm sure the album will be segued. I wouldn't be surprised if Bring isn't the only alternate mix on there too. I reckon it'll be a nice standalone CD.
Excellent - it's going to be even better than I expected then. And if the tracks from Artworks 1 and Archived 8 Bonus EP are alternate mixes, that'd be the icing on the cake :)

@Pande - Good to know about the shirts. Pretty sure I'd need a small, with the medium being 42". Black is always a good colour choice, although they have gone with a nice shade of green :geek:
Ross

Post by Ross »

Gaz is doing a 'name that tune' competition on Facebook - apparently I Turn to Face the Sun uses MIDI files from a '90s FSOL track. The prize is a signed copy of the book + CD. I reckon about half the tracks from the era have been guessed already but nothing. My bet is on an early one.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

It's probably uses something that's on a forthcoming Archives release and we haven't heard it yet !
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Pandemonium wrote:
- They are gruesomely underpaid geniuses and for someone who doesn't know them it surely might look like an un-cool move - but I really think it's OK - it's just an option +

oh no doubt and this isn't something i lose sight of
it's hard to gauge a person's wealth sometimes but i've never had the impression that FSOL are highly payed and able to forget about the need to earn. furthermore if i was in that same position i would surely do whatever i could to make a buck etc. too.

all that said though there is just something about autographs that to me $$$ totally perverts.
lots of times an autograph signals a special moment you ran into someone you look up to etc
it's personal and it's like fan/artist appreciation/interaction
when money comes into the picture it becomes just like "something i purchased" if that makes sense

wayyyy back in the day phish was doing a book signing in the city. so my young and beautifully naive self headed to NYC with a ticket stub in my hand - waited on line for hours etc. and naturally when i get to the front of the line i learn "oh, they won't sign your stub - you need to buy the book"
lol thx guys - waiting in line for 3-4 hours wasn't enough to earn that 2 second scribble.
ah well.....i bought the book and i still remember the moment i shook those hands.

to me stuff like signing a new book or album release etc. - i always prefer the "first 100 copies are signed" kind of thing.
no extra money required yet there IS still a marketing angle built into the promotion because it's prompting people to act fast and get that initial splash of sales.

well that was a long two cents :P
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

Pandemonium wrote:I've talked with Brian about the shirt sizes - there will be S series, as well as XL and XXL.
I'm between XL and XXL, depends on the model.
We talked colours too - I suggested more simple and standard ones like Black, White and some dark blue and blue variants.
So, fingers crossed...
That's great to hear ! I've bought the FSOL t-shirts (M size) to support FSOLDigital, but they fit me like a size large. It would be great to get them in small. Cheers :D
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Digging through the FB comments on Gaz' recent guessing game on FB with the "Face the Sun"-track makes me mad - is it true, Ross has got it right with his End of sorts/Cascade 5 guessing? I somehow lost overview... :)
Magnificient Insignificance
Faroutman
Hardhead

Post by Faroutman »

seedy wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

oh no doubt and this isn't something i lose sight of
it's hard to gauge a person's wealth sometimes but i've never had the impression that FSOL are highly payed and able to forget about the need to earn. furthermore if i was in that same position i would surely do whatever i could to make a buck etc. too.

all that said though there is just something about autographs that to me $$$ totally perverts.
lots of times an autograph signals a special moment you ran into someone you look up to etc
it's personal and it's like fan/artist appreciation/interaction
when money comes into the picture it becomes just like "something i purchased" if that makes sense

wayyyy back in the day phish was doing a book signing in the city. so my young and beautifully naive self headed to NYC with a ticket stub in my hand - waited on line for hours etc. and naturally when i get to the front of the line i learn "oh, they won't sign your stub - you need to buy the book"
lol thx guys - waiting in line for 3-4 hours wasn't enough to earn that 2 second scribble.
ah well.....i bought the book and i still remember the moment i shook those hands.

to me stuff like signing a new book or album release etc. - i always prefer the "first 100 copies are signed" kind of thing.
no extra money required yet there IS still a marketing angle built into the promotion because it's prompting people to act fast and get that initial splash of sales.

well that was a long two cents :P
You could say that about signed art prints.
This is a good thing for admirers of the art Garry and Brian do!
Touched by the hand so to speak.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Dennis wrote:Digging through the FB comments on Gaz' recent guessing game on FB with the "Face the Sun"-track makes me mad - is it true, Ross has got it right with his End of sorts/Cascade 5 guessing? I somehow lost overview... :)
Nah, An End of Sorts had been said before me and a couple of people have suggested Cascade 5 since and been told no. Gaz's clues are knotting my brain up now. The idiot used a thumb to like him talking about him - close at hand. WHAT.